Did you know that German is not only the official language of Germany? German is a pluricentric language, since it is also the official language of Luxembourg, Switzerland, Austria, Belgium, Liechtenstein and the Italian region of South Tyrol.
Before starting with the German language, a few notes: it is an Indo-European language that belongs to the group of Western Germanic languages. It is the second most spoken Germanic language after English and is one of the official languages of the European Union
Do you want to start learning this language with a view to a future trip, moving to a European country or simply for pleasure? To help you get started in the German language, we have prepared a good vocabulary list with basic words.
Memorizing them will be your job. A trick is to make yourself vocabulary cards to memorize the words.
Basic words to speak in German
- Hello: Hello
- Guten morgen: good morning
- Guten tag: good night
- Einen schönen Tag: have a nice day
- Ha, yes
- Nein: no
- Bitte: please
- Danke: Thank you.
- Gern geschehen: you’re welcome
- Machs gut, auf Wiedersehen: goodbye
- Entschuldigung: sorry
- Wie geht is to say: how are you?
- Mir geht es gut: I’m fine
- Ich verstehe nicht: I don’t understand
- Sprechen Sie Englisch?: do you speak English?
- Wo ist die Toilette?: where is the bathroom?
- Ich liebe said: I love you
- Wie spät ist es?: what time is it?
- Wie viel kostet das?: how much does it cost?
- Prost!: Cheers!
Do you want to study more?